The 2013 Rainbow Awards:
The 2013 Elisa Rolle Rainbow Awards are an annual contest celebrating outstanding work in LGBT fiction and nonfiction. Hosted and owned by blogger Elisa Rolle, the contest is open to all authors of work containing LGBT fictional characters and work chronicling the true stories of LGBT persons. For this the contest’s fifth year, some new rules have been instigated, and a new partner has emerged to assist Elisa. The Rainbow Romance Writers, a chapter of the Romance Writers of America, will partner with Elisa in the management and coordination of this contest. Despite RRW’s status as a chapter for romance writers, their participation in no way changes the Rainbow Awards and do not make them exclusively a romance contest. One need not be a member of RRW or RWA to participate in this contest.
A 25$ fee will be charged for each submission. Once administrative and other organization expenses (there will be a live Awards Ceremony) will be covered, all remaining collected fees will be given to a selected LGBT non-profit charitable organization. The selected charity will be presented during the Rainbow Awards Ceremony. Our intent is to preserve the majority of fees to this purpose. The selected charities for 2013 are:
- Ali Forney Center in NYC which provides homeless LGBT youth with shelter, food, and counseling. Sandy left their offices underwater and they are in desperate need of donations to continue their important work (www.aliforneycenter.org).
- COLORS is a free LGBTQ Youth & Counseling Center serving the needs of Los Angeles-area Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) youth 24 and under. COLORS opened its doors in January 2012 in Downtown Los Angeles, providing free therapy and support to LGBTQ youth and their families. (www.colorsyouth.org)
Authors/publishers/editors in the Jury can submit books in Categories they are not reading for. If an author/publisher/editor is also in the Jury they can submit 1 book free of charge (see above submission fee of $25)
CALL FOR JUDGES:
- Judges will start to read books in March; reading period will finish in September (included).
- There will be two separate reading periods:
First period: from 1 March 2013 to 15 July 2012; each book will be read and scored by 5 different judges. At the end of this period, a shortlist of up to five finalists for each category will be announced on 31 July 2013.
Second period: from 1 August 2013 to 30 September 2013; all five finalists for each category will be read by the same 5 judges. Winners will be announced in October 2013.
- Each judge will read a minimum of 5 books. Authors/Publishers/Editors will not read books in categories where a their own book is submitted.
- Each book will be judge using 4 different criteria: Plot Development, Setting Development, Characters Development and Writing Style. Judges will rate entries in a range of 1 to 10 points for each criteria.
- Judges will receive only the ebooks they have to read. (PDF files)
- Judges will have to indicate what categories they are not comfortable reading.
- To be a judge, please contact Elisa Rolle at email@example.com
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/3450726.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.