Edale is a small Derbyshire village and Civil parish in the Peak District, in the Midlands of England. Edale is best known to walkers as the start (or southern end) of the Pennine Way, and to less ambitious walkers as a good starting point for evening or day walks, accessible by public transport from Sheffield or Manchester and with two pubs supplying real ale and food.
Towards the end of the 17th century streets had become more numerous in the St Ann's district; by 1720, St Ann's Square had been laid out and planted with trees in imitation of the fashionable squares of London and Bath.
In 1729, Sir Oswald Mosley built an exchange, not far from the site of the present Royal Exchange. By 1735, buildings had begun to rise on the south side of Acres Field and King Street and Ridgefield came into being.
Manchester Town Hall is a Victorian, Neo-gothic municipal building in Manchester, England. Designed by architect Alfred Waterhouse the town hall was completed in 1877.
The 280 feet (85 m) tall bell tower, houses a carillon of 23 bells: 12 are hung for full circle change ringing and were manufactured by John Taylor Bellfounders. The clock bell, Great Abel, named after Abel Heywood weighs 8 tons 2.5 cwt. The clock was made by Gillett and Bland (predecessor of Gillett and Johnston) and was originally wound using hydraulic power supplied by Manchester Hydraulic Power.
The Dukes of Devonshire have been closely involved with Buxton since 1780, when the 5th Duke used the profits from his copper mines to develop the town as a spa in the style of Bath. The area features in the poetry of W. H. Auden and the novels of Jane Austen and Emily Brontë.
The Natural Baths, by Henry Currey, are on the site of the original Roman baths. The building was opened in 1854 and re-developed as an arcade in 1987, featuring a barrel vaulted stained glass canopy — the largest stained glass window in Britain — designed by Brian Clarke.
The 122-room Palace Hotel, built in 1868, is a prominent feature of the Buxton skyline on the hill above the railway station. It was designed by Henry Currey.
Castleton is a honeypot village in the Derbyshire Peak District, in England. The village lies at the western end of the Hope Valley on the Peakshole Water, a tributary of the River Noe. The village is situated between the areas known as the Dark Peak (to the north) and the White Peak (to the south).
St Edmund's Norman church was restored about 1837. It has late 13th century tracery and an ashlar faced Perpendicular tower. Its box pews are dated 1661, 1662, 1663 and 1676.
Castlefield is an inner city conservation area of Manchester, in North West England. The conservation area which bears its name is bounded by the River Irwell, Quay Street, Deansgate and the Chester Road. Castlefield was designated as a conservation area in 1980 and the United Kingdom's first designated Urban Heritage Park in 1982.
During the regeneration of the Castlefield basin, a spectacular footbridge was built from Slate Wharf to Catalan Square. This is the Merchant's Bridge, where the 3m wide deck is hung by 13 hangers from the steel arches. The span is 40m. The designers, Whitby and Bird acknowledge the influence of Santiago Calatrava.
Beetham Tower (also known as the Hilton Tower) is a landmark 47-storey mixed-use skyscraper in Manchester, England. Completed in 2006, it is named after its developers, the Beetham Organisation, and was designed by Ian Simpson.
The Hope Valley is a rural area centred on the village of Hope, Derbyshire in the Peak District in the northern Midlands of England.
Hathersage is a village in the Peak District in Derbyshire, England. It lies slightly to the north of the River Derwent, approximately 10 miles west of Sheffield. The origin of its name is disputed, although it is generally accepted that the second half derives from the Old English word "ecg" meaning edge. In the Domesday Book it is listed as Hereseige.
Stones in the churchyard mark what is known as the grave of Little John, where in 1780 James Shuttleworth claims to have unearthed a thigh bone measuring 72.39 cm. This would have made Little John 8.08 feet in height. One claimant to Robin Hood "of Locksley" is the village of Loxley, only eight miles over the moors on the edge of Sheffield.
The earliest recorded church was built by Richard Bassett, son of Ralph Bassett, Chancellor of England in the reign of Henry I. The present structure mainly dates from the late Fourteenth and early Fifteenth Century. It has a stained glass window by Charles Kempe, which was removed from Derwent Chapel before it was submerged under the Ladybower Reservoir.
In 1845, Charlotte Brontë stayed at the Hathersage vicarage, visiting her friend Ellen Nussey, whose brother was the vicar, while she was writing Jane Eyre. Many of the locations mentioned in her novel match locations in Hathersage, the name Eyre being that of a local gentry family. Her "Thornfield Hall" is widely accepted to be North Lees Hall situated on the outskirts of Hathersage.
Eyam is a small village in Derbyshire, England. The village is best known for being the "plague village" that chose to isolate itself when the plague was discovered there in August 1665, rather than let the infection spread. The village was founded and named by Anglo-Saxons, although lead had been mined in the area by the Romans.
Eyam churchyard contains a Celtic cross (Mercian) dated to the 8th century. Initially, it was located at the side of a cart track near Eyam. It is Grade I listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It is believed that the cross originally lay on a moor outside the village and was later moved to the churchyard. It is covered in complex carvings and is almost complete, but is missing a section of the shaft.
Opposite the church is the rather grand-looking Mechanics' Institute, used as the village hall meeting rooms. The Mechanics' Institute was established in Eyam in 1824, with a library paid for by subscription, which then contained 766 volumes. There were 30 members recorded in 1857, paying 3d. (the equivalent of 1p) per month.
Edensor (pronounced "Ensor") is a village in Derbyshire, England. It is the closest village to Chatsworth House and much of it belongs to the Dukes of Devonshire. Originally the village was close to the River Derwent immediately below Chatsworth, but the Dukes had it moved out of sight over a hill, apart from one cottage whose tenant did not want to move, which still stands in Chatsworth Park.
Edensor's St Peter's church was expanded by Sir George Gilbert Scott for the 7th Duke of Devonshire in the 1860s. It contains a magnificent early 17th century memorial to Bess of Hardwick's sons, Henry and William Cavendish. Sir Joseph Paxton is buried in the churchyard, as are most Dukes of Devonshire and their families, including U.S. President John F. Kennedy's sister Kathleen Kennedy, who was married to the 10th Duke's eldest son.
The Chatsworth Settlement has a wide range of sources of income in addition to agricultural rents. Several thousand acres of the estate, mostly around Chatsworth and on the Staveley estate, are farmed in hand. A number of properties may be rented as holiday cottages, including the Bess of Hardwick's Hunting Tower in the park. Several quarries produce limestone and other minerals.
Chatsworth House is a stately home in the county of Derbyshire in the East Midlands region of England. It lies within the Derbyshire Dales administrative district, about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) northeast of Bakewell and 9 miles (14 km) west of Chesterfield (GB Grid SK260700). It is the seat of the Duke of Devonshire, and has been home to his family, the Cavendish family, since Bess of Hardwick settled at Chatsworth in 1549.
Bakewell is a small market town in the Derbyshire Dales district of Derbyshire, England, deriving its name from 'Beadeca's Well'. It is the only town included in the Peak District National Park, and is well known for the local confection Bakewell Pudding (often mistaken for the Bakewell Tart).
Bakewell is mentioned by Elizabeth Bennet as the town from which she travelled to visit Pemberley, in ch. 43 of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.
All Saints Church is a Grade I listed church founded in 920, during Saxon times and the churchyard has two 9th-century Saxon crosses. During restoration work, in the 1840s, many carved fragments of Saxon stonework were found in and around the porch, as well as some ancient stone coffins.
Three shops in Bakewell offer what they each claim is the original recipe. The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House sells four different variations of the confection, including: "Bakewell Tart", "Iced Bakewell Tart", "Moist Bakewell Tart" and "Traditional Bakewell Pudding"; whilst The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop and Bloomers of Bakewell both sell a "Bakewell Pudding".
Matlock Bath is a village south of Matlock in Derbyshire, England. Built along the River Derwent, it developed, in the 19th century, as a spa town and still thrives on tourism.
Riber Castle is a 19th-century Grade II listed country house situated in the hamlet of Riber on a hill overlooking Matlock, Derbyshire. Known locally as "Smedley's Folly" because of the difficulty of getting water to the hill summit, it was built by John Smedley in 1862 as his private home. His wife lived in it until her death. After the death of Smedley's wife, the castle became a boys' school until this became financially unsustainable in the 1930s.
Monsal Dale is a valley in the Peak District of Derbyshire in England. In geological history this area of Derbyshire was long ago under water, and is formed from a subsequent uplift of resultant sedimentary deposits, known as the Derbyshire Dome. The local landmark is the Headstone Viaduct, built by the Midland Railway, over the River Wye, immediately after the 533-yard (487 m) Headstone Tunnel, travelling north from Great Longstone.
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/3727177.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.