The New York Savings Bank building in Manhattan was built in 1896 by Robert Henderson Robertson with George Provot, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 7, 2000. In 2005 it became a Balducci's food market. In April 2010 The New York Savings Bank name, which had been covered over, was again visible, but by 2011 it was supplanted by the CVS pharmacy name.
131 Charles Street is a Federal style townhouse in the West Village, New York City.
It is located on Charles Street and near Greenwich Street in West Village, Manhattan, New York. The red brick Federal two-story-over-raised-base
"These residences of the 1820s were almost all builder's, carpenter's, or stonemason's homes, and there were several blocks of them at one time. in 1899 Montgomery Schuyler, the critic, wrote that they were 'the most respectable and artistic pattern of habitation New York has ever known.'" The house was listed April 19, 1966, as a New York City Landmark.
The structure is noteworthy for containing all original window frames and lintels (except in the dormers) At least until 1971 when the property was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, the trim was white and many original interior features of the house remained. Some minor exterior changes were made during the Victorian period. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. It is determined to be significant for its architecture.
Palazzo Chupi at 360 West 11th Street between Washington and West Streets in the West Village section of the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City is a residential condominium building designed by artist Julian Schnabel in the style of a Northern Italian palazzo, built on top of a former horse stable. Schnabel uses the lower four floors, the former stable, as a studio. They also contain a parking garage, art gallery space and swimming pool.
The building, which contains five "palatial" units, is easy to spot because of its singular style and bold pink color. The name is taken from the trendy Spanish lollipop called "Chupa Chups"; Schnabel used Chupi as a pet name for his second wife Olatz López Garmendia.
Schnabel says that he built the Palazzo "because I wanted more space, and because I thought I could sell two or three apartments to pay for that space, and I built it because I could."
The High Line is a 1-mile (1.6 km) New York City linear park built on a 1.45-mile (2.33 km) section of the elevated former New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line, which runs along the lower west side of Manhattan; it has been redesigned and planted as an aerial greenway. A similar project in Paris (the nearly 3 mile Promenade plantée, completed in 1993) was the inspiration for this project. The High Line currently runs from Gansevoort Street, three blocks below West 14th Street, in the Meatpacking District, up to 30th Street, through the neighborhood of Chelsea to the West Side Yard, near the Javits Convention Center. Formerly, the viaduct of the High Line went as far south as Canal Street (where the entrance to the Holland Tunnel is now), but the lower section was demolished in 1960.
The recycling of the railway into an urban park has spurred real estate development in the neighborhoods which lie along the line.
Vincent Virga's home: James McCourt (born 1941) is an American writer and novelist. His life partner since 1964 is novelist Vincent Virga; they met in graduate school at Yale. McCourt is best known for his extravagant 1975 novel Mawrdew Czgowchwz, about a fictional opera diva, and his 2003 nonfiction book Queer Street, about gay life in New York City after World War II. His latest novel, Now Voyagers, 2007, is the first in a series of projected sequels to Mawrdew Czgowchwz. Vincent Virga is best known for the trilogy of Gaywick, the first Gay Gothic Romance.
James Harper (April 13, 1795 – March 27, 1869), was an American publisher and politician in the early-to-mid 19th century. James was the eldest of four sons born to Joseph Henry Harper, (1750-1838), a farmer, carpenter, and storekeeper, and Elizabeth Kolyer, daughter of Jacobus Kolyer (1749-1819) and Jane Miller. Lived at No. 4 Gramercy Park West from 1847 until his death in 1869. Greek Revival, architect Alexander Jackson Davis.
Gramercy Park is a small, fenced-in private park in the borough of Manhattan in New York City, United States. The park is at the core of both the neighborhood referred to as either Gramercy or Gramercy Park and the Gramercy Park Historic District. The approximately 2 acre (0.8 hectare) park is the only private park in New York City, and one of only two in the state; only people residing around the park who pay an annual fee have a key, and the public is not generally allowed in – although the sidewalks of the streets around the park are a popular jogging, strolling and dog-walking route.
When the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission created the Gramercy Park Historic District in 1966, they quoted from John B. Pine's 1921 book, The Story of Gramercy Park:
The laying out of Gramercy Park represents one of the earliest attempts in this country at 'City Planning'. ... As a park given to the prospective owners of the land surrounding it and held in trust for those who made their homes around it, Gramercy Park is unique in this City, and perhaps in this country, and represents the only neighborhood, with possibly one exception, which has remained comparatively unchanged for eighty years -- the Park is one of the City's Landmarks.
Calling it "a Victorian gentleman who has refused to die", Charlotte Devree in the New York Times said that "There is nothing else quite like Gramercy Park in the country."
The neighborhood around Gramercy Park, which is divided between New York City's Manhattan Community Board 5 and Manhattan Community Board 6, is generally perceived to be a quiet and safe area.
Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace National Historic Site is a recreated brownstone at 28 East 20th Street, between Broadway and Park Avenue South, in Manhattan, New York City. The house that originally stood on the site was built in 1848, and was bought by the Roosevelts in 1854. Theodore Roosevelt was born there on October 27, 1858, and lived in the house with his family until 1872 when the neighborhood began to become more commercial, and the family moved uptown to West 57th Street.
The original building was demolished in 1916, but the lot was purchased and the house rebuilt in 1919 by the Women's Roosevelt Memorial Association, which eventually merged with the Roosevelt Memorial Association in 1953 to form the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church, an historic church at 346 West 20th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, began as an outgrowth from the nearby General Theological Seminary, which had been founded in 1827. After some years in which local residents joined students and faculty from the Seminary for services, it became clear than a new, separate congregation was necessary, and this was organized on May 9, 1831.
Clement Clarke Moore, whose estate "Chelsea" gave the name to the neighborhood, and who donated the land of his apple orchard for the Seminary to be built on, leased land to the new congregation – which he later deeded to it. He became an active member of the St. Peter's congregation: at various times he was a warden, a vestryman, and the church organist. A Greek revival-style chapel was built which was consecrated on February 4, 1831. Five years later, builder James W. Smith began constructing the present Gothic revival church from designs made by Moore, and this present church building was consecrated on February 22, 1838; the chapel became the church's rectory. The wrought-iron fence in front of the church is older than the church and the rectory. It dates from c.1790, and was originally part of the second incarnation of Trinity Church, the primary and oldest Episcopal congregation in New York City at the time. It was moved to St. Peter's sometime in the 1830s. The clock in the church's bell tower was installed in 1888, and it operated without interruption until April 1949, when a hand on one of its faces broke loose.
The third building in the complex is the East Hall, which was constructed beginning in 1854 and had a church-like facade added in 1871. It is now used by the Atlantic Theatre Company as their mainstage, the Linda Gross Theatre. The entire church complex is part of the Chelsea Historic District, which was designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1970 and extended in 1981.
London Terrace is an apartment building complex located in New York City, in the Western Chelsea section of Manhattan. It encompasses an entire city block bounded by Ninth and Tenth Avenues, West 23rd and West 24th Streets. Construction began in late 1929 of the largest apartment building in the world which contains approximately 1,700 apartments in 14 contiguous buildings between 17 and 19 stories high as well as an Olympic sized swimming pool. London Terrace was constructed by Henry Mandel Companies and the architectural firm, Farrar & Watmough.
Built at a cost of more than $25,000,000, the building fell into default May 1933, shortly after the complex was complete, due in part to the Great Depression. Henry Mandell entered into personal bankruptcy in 1932 with debits of more than $14 million ($222 million inflation adjusted to 2010). To finance construction of the complex, two separate $5.5 million bonds were issued, one for the "End Units" (now London Terrace Towers) and one for the "Garden Units" (now London Terrace Gardens), which leads to the buildings' bifurcated structure. At the current time London Terrace Towers is a Co-Op and managed by Douglas Elliman Property Management, with London Terrace Gardens a rental building and managed by Rose Associates.
The Marine Midland Building (also HSBC Bank Building) is a 51-story office building located at 140 Broadway between Cedar and Liberty Streets in Manhattan's financial district. The building, completed in 1967, is 688 ft (209.7 m) tall and is known for the distinctive sculpture at its entrance, Isamu Noguchi's Cube. Gordon Bunshaft of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the man who designed the building, had originally proposed a monolith type sculpture, but it was deemed to be too expensive. It is currently owned by Union Investment.
George A. Fuller (1851 – December 14, 1900) was an architect often credited as being the "inventor" of modern skyscrapers and the modern contracting system. Following the death of Fuller, Harry S. Black, Fuller's son-in-law, took over as president of the Fuller Company and aggressively expanded its capitalization and operations, merging it with smaller companies, and bringing on to the company's board of directors such men as Henry Morgenthau, Sr., former New York City mayor – and Tammany Hall man – Hugh J. Grant, and banker James Stillman and creating what became known as the "skyscraper trust". In 1902, he took the company public, listing it on the New York Stock Exchange, and then put together a merger with Alliance and New York Realty to create a new $66 million company, the United States Realty and Construction Company; the Fuller Company – which by then had offices in New York, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Pittsburgh – would remain an independent company under the umbrella of the new entity.
The new company will undoubtedly enter foreign fields, with the view of introducing steel construction in cities like London, Paris and Berlin. Its relations will be very close to the United States Steel Corporation, and naturally, as we will be the largest consumers of structural steel in the world, our terms as to price and delivery will be most favorable.
Indeed, Black had constructed the new company's board of directors with an eye for its need for steel and rail transport. It included Charles Schwab of U.S. Steel, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Charles Tweed of Southern Pacific, Charles Francis Adams, former head of Union Pacific, and representatives from J.P. Morgan and the Mutual Life Insurance Company. Since Black had put together U.S. Realty, he naturally expected to be named the company's president, but the board passed over him and selected Bradish Johnson, president of New York Realty, one of the firms folded into the new conglomerate.
U.S. Realty's stock never performed as expected, although the members of the board did receive substantial salaries and large dividends on the stock they owned, even as the company was underpeforming. When the Fuller Company was implicated in the corruption of the building trades union leader, Samuel Parks, its stock fell. Board members dumped their stock and left the company, but Fuller was buying up stock at the same time. He took control of the company, naming a new board which made Black president.
Among the many buildings constructed by the Fuller Company under Black were the Pennsylvania Station, the Flatiron Building, R.H. Macy's flagship store on Broadway and 34th Street, lauded at the time as the biggest store in the world, the New York Times Building in Times Square, the Plaza Hotel on Grand Army Plaza and Central Park South and the Savoy-Plaza Hotel across Fifth Avenue, the biggest hotel in the world at the time, designed by McKim, Mead & White, and demolished in 1964. In Chicago, Fuller built the Stevens Hotel, designed by Holabird & Roche.
The Fuller Company was liquidated and sold in 1970.
Trinity Church, at 79 Broadway in lower Manhattan, is a historic, active, well-endowed parish church in the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Trinity Church is near the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway, in New York City, New York.
A carriage house, also called remise or coach house, is an outbuilding which was originally built to house horse-drawn carriages and the related tack.
At 14 stories tall, the Prince George Hotel at 14 East 28th Street, was one of New York's largest early 20th century hotels. It was constructed in two phases, with the main building going up in 1904 and a northern wing added in 1912. The exterior of the hotel has a Beaux-Arts character, with a rusticated limestone base, red brick and white terra-cotta trim above, and three-dimensional sculptural ornaments. Its ground floor included the Lady's Tearoom, the English Tap Room, and the Hunt Room. One of the centerpieces of the original building is The Ladies’ Tea Room, with its trellised piers and arches, Rook wood faience fountain, lighting set within opalescent glass cartouches, and murals by George Inness, Jr.
The Ballroom at the Prince George is part of the Madison Square North Historic District and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Designed by Greenley, the ornate ballroom featured Renaissance-inspired murals and reproductions of famous paintings, along with intricate woodwork, marble mosaic floors, ceiling murals, and elaborate carvings. It features neo-Renaissance details, including plasterwork garlands, cherubs, and acanthus leaves. Columns details include cherubim, fruit garlands and faces with leafy walrus mustaches. The room also has herringbone oak floors, and a marble mantelpiece. 18-foot coffered ceilings are heavily ornamented. Its columns are encrusted with plump cherubim, ripe fruit garlands and faces with leafy walrus mustaches.
The hotel continued to function, though in decline, through the 1980s, when, suffering from a decline in tourism and an increase in homelessness in the area, it began to contract with the city to house homeless families, with the ballroom serving as a multi-function space: dining room, offices, and basketball court. As it continued to decline, writer Jonathan Kozol called it "one of the grimmest places I've ever been." The city shut down the hotel in 1989, and it was purchased by Common Ground, a social services organization, in 1996.
In 1998, renovation of the building began, funded by Federal and state funds and private grants, under the control of Beyer Blinder Belle, who had also overseen the renovation of Grand Central Station. The building re-opened in 1999. The Ballroom was renovated later, in 2004.
The Seville Hotel in New York City was built in 1904 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 24, 2005.
The Church of the Transfiguration, also known as the Little Church Around the Corner, is an Episcopal parish church located at 1 East 29th Street, between Madison and Fifth Avenues in the NoMad neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The congregation was founded in 1848 by the Rev. Dr. George Hendric Houghton and worshiped in a home at 48 East 29th Street until the church was built and consecrated in 1849.
The church was designed in the early English Neo-Gothic style; the architect has not been identified. The sanctuary is set back from the street behind a garden which creates a facsimile of the English countryside and which has long been an oasis for New Yorkers of all faiths, who relax in the garden, pray in the chapel, or enjoy free weekday concerts in the main church. The complex has grown somewhat haphazardly over the years, and for this reason it is sometimes called the "Holy Cucumber Vine". The sanctuary had a guildhall, transepts, and a tower added to it in 1852, and the lych-gate, designed by Frederick C. Withers, was built in 1896. Chapels were added in 1906 (lady chapel) and 1908 (mortuary chapel).
In 1967, the church was designated a New York City landmark, and in 1973 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Empire State Building is a 102-story skyscraper located in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and West 34th Street. It has a roof height of 1,250 feet (381 meters), and with its antenna spire included, it stands a total of 1,454 ft (443.2 m) high. Its name is derived from the nickname for New York, the Empire State. It stood as the world's tallest building for nearly 40 years, from its completion in early 1931 until the topping out of the World Trade Center's North Tower in late 1970. The building's lobbies and common areas received a $550 million renovation in 2009, which included new air conditioning, waterproofing, and renovating the observation deck; moving the gift shop to the 80th floor. Up until the 1960s, the ceilings in the lobby had a shiny art deco mural inspired by both the sky and the Machine Age, until it was covered with ceiling tiles and fluorescent lighting. Because the original murals, designed by an artist named Leif Neandross, were damaged, reproductions were installed. Over 50 artists and workers used 15,000 square feet of aluminum and 1,300 square feet of 23-carat gold leaf to re-create the mural. Renovations to the lobby alluded to original plans for the building; replacing the clock over the information desk in the Fifth Avenue lobby with an Anemometer, as well as installing two chandeliers originally intended to be part of the building when it first opened.
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/3899425.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.