1) I thought the author captured the time period wonderfully. The characters and setting feel very real, and I got sucked into the story very quickly.
2) Well researched; interesting time frame, great characters; well written; you enter this world and find you want to know what becomes of the characters.
3) This book seemed to have it all, well-written characters with a rich storyline. I loved how this book took me through a rollercoaster of emotions. I felt very connected with David throughout the entire story. Also, the author did a wonderful job of putting me in that WWI-ish time period.
4) The historical setting so very well done, in fact one of the best I've read. Initially the characters were interesting and consistent until the end when the got morose and it slowed the pacing.
5) Excellent historical details and strong storytelling, with a hero who survives much childhood abuse.
Beloved Unmasked (Cherished One #1) by Brita Addams
Gay Historical Romance
Paperback: 274 pages
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press (October 16, 2015)
Amazon: Beloved Unmasked (Cherished One #1)
Amazon Kindle: Beloved Unmasked (Cherished One #1)
Cherished One: Book One
A Tarnished novel
Born to a spiteful prostitute in Storyville, the red-light district in New Orleans, David comes into the world as Picayune, meaning “of little value,” or, as his mother reminds him, “nothing.” In the early 20th century brothels and clubs, his love of music sustains young Pic until a life-changing meeting places him on the road to respectability, and Pic reinvents himself as David Reid.
As David realizes happiness for the first time, conscription forces his friend and first love, Spencer Webb, into the Great War. While he pursues a law degree, letters from Spence connect David to his hopes for the future. After staggering news at war’s end, David must find a way to move forward. Under the tutelage of his benefactor, David’s career prospers, but specters from Storyville threaten all he’s worked so hard to achieve.
The past holds both pain and love. Will facing it head-on destroy David or give him everything he’s ever dared dream?
Rainbow Awards Guidelines: http://www.elisarolle.com/rainbowawards/r
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/4804843.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.