elisa_rolle (elisa_rolle) wrote,

Ruth Turner (October 6, 1892 – January 6, 1942)

Lived: Westbrook House, Westbrook Rd, Godalming, Surrey GU7 2QH, UK (51.1883, -0.62492)
Buried: Nightingale Cemetery, Godalming, Waverley Borough, Surrey, England

George Mallory was an English mountaineer who took part in the first three British expeditions to Mount Everest in the early 1920s. During the 1924 British Mount Everest Expedition, Mallory and his climbing partner Andrew "Sandy" Irvine both disappeared on the North-East ridge while attempting to make the first ascent of the world's highest mountain. The pair were last seen when they were about 800 vertical feet (245m) from the summit. Mallory's ultimate fate was unknown for 75 years, until his body was discovered on May 1, 1999 by an expedition that had set out to search for the climbers' remains. Whether Mallory and Irvine reached the summit before they died remains a subject of speculation and continuing research. In October 1905, Mallory entered Magdalene College, Cambridge, to study history. There he became good friends with members of the future Bloomsbury Group including James Strachey, Lytton Strachey, Rupert Brooke, John Maynard Keynes, and Duncan Grant, who took several portraits of Mallory. In 1909 Lytton Strachey wrote of Mallory: "Mon dieu!—George Mallory! … He's six foot high, with the body of an athlete by Praxiteles, and a face—oh incredible—the mystery of Botticelli, the refinement and delicacy of a Chinese print, the youth and piquancy of an unimaginable English boy."
Together from 1914 to 1924: 10 years.
George Herbert Leigh Mallory (June 18. 1886 –June 8 or 9, 1924)
Ruth Turner (October 6, 1892 – January 6, 1942)

Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1500563325
ISBN-10: 1500563323
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

The successful architect, Hugh Thackeray Turner, and his family were close friends of William Morris. The family lived in an elegant mansion, Westbrook House, in Godalming.
Address: Westbrook Rd, Godalming, Surrey GU7 2QH, UK (51.1883, -0.62492)
Type: Private Property
English Heritage Building ID: 291499 (Grade II, 1988)
Built in 1899-1900, Design by Hugh Thackeray Turner (1853-1937)
Large house, now house and 3 flats, with attached outbuilding range. Later XX century alterations. Bargate rubblestone with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. 2 storeys with attic. In Arts and Crafts style. Main, garden, elevation: 5 irregular bays. Bay 2, projecting as gabled wing, has a 4-light window to ground and 1st floors, the latter transomed, and a 2-light attic window; large external stack rises from angle with bay 1, having 2-light window at base; right return has a transomed 4-light window to ground floor and a 2-light window above. Two bays to right have ground floor under catslide roof; central arched doorway with recessed, nail-studded board door; transomed windows of 3 lights to left, 4 lights to right; 4-light flat-roofed dormers to 1st floor; tile-hung, gabled, 2-light dormers to attic, with tall stack between; right return has recessed ground floor with 4-light window and a 2-light lst-floor window. Bay 1 treated similarly with catslide roof over ground floor, 3-light window to ground floor and 3-light flat-roofed dormer to first floor. Bay 5 is set back and gabled; transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights to ground floor, 1 and 3 lights to 1st floor; and 2-light attic window. Entrance elevation windows are set in deep surrounds fronted by squat columns. Former outbuilding range set back on right has, on left, an arched doorway with window to right; wooden mullioned windows with concrete lintels of 2, 4 and 2 lights to right; 2 later flat-roofed 4-light dormers; and one former pent-roofed dormer to left; ridge stack to right. Rear, entrance, elevation: end bays gabled, left one projecting as wing and having windows of 1 and 2 lights to ground floor, 3 transomed lights to 1st floor, 2 lights to attic, and variety of windows to right return; right end bay in line with main range and having lateral stack with 4-light window to its left on ground floor. Central part has entrance on right with panelled door in moulded architrave protected by gabled porch with paired Doric columns; to far left, an inserted door (to "Top Flat") and between doors, windows of 2 and 4 lights. On first floor near-continuous mullion window in ashlar panel, broken on left by jettied section with windows of 1 and 2 lights, the latter under gable. Left return: 2 doors flanking 4-light transomed window with 5-light transomed window above and 2-light attic window; left door protected by 4-bay hipped-roofed logia which extends leftwards and has tile columns on rubblestone dwarf wall. Right return: transomed windows of 5 and 3 lights, the latter with door (to "The Cottage") inserted; another door (to 3rd flat) in late C20 porch in left angle; on 1st floor, central, transomed 3-light window rising under gable with two 2-light pent-roofed dormers and a cross-ridge stack to its left. Outbuilding range (formerly stable, coach-house, and tool and coal store) projecting on left has board doors and leaded-light windows. Much of the contemporary interior survives, with wood panelling, decorative plaster friezes and decorative cornices to the principal rooms. In addition, the drawing room has pine panelled walls a decorative plaster ceiling and wide fireplace with pilastered architrave and Delft-tile fireplace surround; morning room has coved, ribbed, ceiling with central floral decoration with pendant; former dining room has columned window alcove, wide fireplace with green polished-stone panels and tulip-decorated fireplace surround, and pulvinated running pomegranate frieze, entrance hall has panelled doors, plasterwork frieze, probably by George Bankart, elaborate wrought-iron light fitting and straight-flight wooden stair with bulbous balusters; on 1st floor, entrance - elevation windows are set in deep surrounds fronted by squat columns. The garden at Westbrook was laid out by Gertrude Jekyll.
Who: Ruth Turner (October 6, 1892 – January 6, 1942)
Thackeray Turner, a follower of Philip Webb, was an important theorist of architectural design, but himself designed very few houses. Westbrook was his major work and hence an important piece. Thackeray Turner was also important in being the 2nd Secretary of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. Ruth Turner, daughter of Hugh Thackeray Turner, and Mary Powell Turner, attended Prior's Field, a free-thinking school founded by Julia Huxley, the mother of Aldous Huxley. Ruth met George Mallory at a dinner held by Arthur Clutton-Brock in 1913. The following year, Hugh Thackeray Turner invited Mallory to join him and his three daughters on a family holiday in Venice. The couple fell in love after a trip to Asolo. Ruth wrote to George after she arrived back in England: "How wonderful it was that day among the flowers at Asolo!" Ruth married George Mallory on 29th July 1914. During the 1924 British Mount Everest Expedition, Mallory and his climbing partner Andrew "Sandy" Irvine both disappeared on the North-East ridge while attempting to make the first ascent of the world's highest mountain. Ruth moved back to Westbrook House with her three children to live with her father. John Mallory later pointed out that his mother: "She made a conscious decision not to over protect us" and took them on climbing holidays. After the death of her father in 1937 the house was sold and Ruth lived with a cousin. In 1939 Ruth married her friend Will Arnold-Forster after the death of his wife. Clare Millikan reported that her mother was "glowingly happy" but sadly she died of cancer in 1942. Her daughter, Berry Robertson, also died of the disease in 1953. They are both buried at Nightingale Cemetery Chapel (Godalming, Surrey). Clare Millikan's husband, Glenn Millikan, died in a climbing accident in Tennessee in 1947. John Mallory's son, George Mallory, climbed Mount Everest in 1995.

Queer Places, Vol. 2 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906312
ISBN-10: 1532906315
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228833
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906315/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1KZBO/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/4946126.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.
Tags: days of love, queer places

  • The History of Rainbow Awards: 2015

    2015 Rainbow Awards: 456 books, 168 judges, 16.928$ to charity Winners: LGBT Cover - Illustration: Hammer & Bone by Kirby Crow, cover art…

  • 2015 Rainbow Awards

    More than 450 books, almost 170 judges, all over the world, and many, many submissions, from indie publishers, from mainstream publishers and a lot…

  • 2015 Rainbow Awards Winners: Best Gay Book

    And the Rainbow Award goes to: 1 (tie-in). Beneath the Stain by Amy Lane Paperback: 350 pages Publisher: Dreamspinner…

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for friends only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded