Born: January 10, 1906
Studied: University of Oxford
Association: Fitzwilliam Museum, Trumpington St, Cambridge CB2 1RB, UK (52.19953, 0.11994)
The Fitzwilliam Museum is the art and antiquities museum of the University of Cambridge, located on Trumpington Street opposite Fitzwilliam Street in central Cambridge. It receives around 470,000 visitors annually (2011–12). Admission is free.
Address: Trumpington St, Cambridge CB2 1RB, UK (52.19953, 0.11994)
Type: Museum (open to public)
Phone: +44 1223 332900
The Museum is the lead museum for the University of Cambridge Museums consortium, one of 16 Major Partner Museum services funded by Arts Council England to lead the development of the museums sector. The current Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum is Tim Knox. The museum was founded in 1816 with the legacy of the library and art collection of the 7th Viscount FitzWilliam. The bequest also included £100,000 "to cause to be erected a good substantial museum repository". The collection was initially placed in the old Perse School building in Free School Lane. It was moved in 1842 to the Old Schools (at that time the University Library). The "Founder's Building" itself was designed by George Basevi, completed by C. R. Cockerell and opened in 1848; the entrance hall is by Edward Middleton Barry and was completed in 1875. The first stone of the new building was laid by Gilbert Ainslie in 1837. A further large bequest was made to the University in 1912 by Charles Brinsley Marlay, including a sum of £80,000 and a collection of 84 pictures. A two-storey extension, paid for partly by the Courtauld family, was added in 1931. The portraits of Sir John Finch and Sir Thomas Baines by Florentine artist Carlo Dolci hang in the Fitzwilliam Museum. Also the personal collection of Charles Shannon and Charles Ricketts are hosted at the Museum.
Who: Carl Winter (January 10, 1906– May 21, 1966)
Carl Winter was a British art historian and museum curator. Winter was born in Melbourne, the son of Carl Winter and his wife Ethel (née Hardy). He was educated and Xavier College and Newman College, University of Melbourne. He came to England in 1928 and attended Exeter College, Oxford. He married Theodora (née Barlow) in 1936; they had two sons and a daughter, but were divorced in 1953. He was appointed as an Assistant Keeper in the Departments of Engraving, Illustration and Design, and of Paintings, at the Victoria & Albert Museum 1931, where he worked with Basil Long, leading the department after Long's death in 1936. He was appointed as Deputy Keeper at the V&A in 1945, but moved to become Director and Morley Curator at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge in 1946, and also a fellow of Trinity College, where he remained until his death in 1966. He published “Elizabethan Miniatures” in 1943, and “The British School of Miniature Portrait Painters” in 1948. Along with Patrick Trevor-Roper and Peter Wildeblood, Winter gave evidence to the Wolfenden Committee, whose report led in 1967 to the decriminalization of sex between adult male homosexuals. He gave evidence anonymously as "Mr White". His testimony to the Committee has been portrayed on-screen in the BBC dramatisation, “Consenting Adults.”
Queer Places, Vol. 2 edited by Elisa Rolle
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228833
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906315/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1KZBO/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/4955611.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.