Born: January 19, 1859, Toronto, Canada
Died: October 30, 1953, San Francisco, California, United States
Buried: Toronto Necropolis Cemetery and Crematorium, Toronto, Toronto Municipality, Ontario, Canada
Institutions: California Academy of Sciences, more
In 1909 Emily Williams undertook the remodelling of Katherine Chandler’s Deer Park Inn near Lake Tahoe. Emily probably met Chandler, a botanist and author, in Pacific Grove where Chandler frequently rented a corrage. Both women were friends of Etta Belle Lloyd, a Pacific Grove businesswoman who ran an insurance agency and managed several commercial properties that had been owned by her father David.
Address: Olympic Valley, CA 96146, USA (39.19698, -120.2357)
Type: Public Park
Many years before the Alpine Meadows Ski Area was developed the Deer Park Springs Hotel was constructed by John Brown Scott who owned land in Squaw Valley where he and his wife ran a successful dairy ranch that had been previously owned and operated by her first husband John P. Scott. In 1880 they completed construction of a 3 story 20 room hotel. 8 cabins were added with in the following 3 years. Across Bear Creek were iron, sulphur, and soda mineral springs which lured guests who bathed in them for health reasons. A social hall, stable, and barn were constructed to house horses and milk cows. The cabins had names such as “Forty Nine” named after the 49 steps leading to it pine entry door. In the 1890’s Scott would run a stage couch to Truckee where he picked up guests arriving by train from San Francisco. In 1900 a post office was established for the resort. In the same year a railroad station was constructed at the corner of Deer Park Road and the Truckee River where the new Lake Tahoe Railway from Truckee to Tahoe City would stop to drop off and pick up guests. Shortly after the turn of the century John Scott died and the resort was sold to Miss Katherine Chandler in 1905 a teacher of botany from San Francisco. She added tennis and croquet grounds to the resort. Other families owned the property in subsequent years, however in 1920 it was foreclosed upon by the San Francisco Board of Trade. After this the property went into a decaying state and was mostly lost to future travelers. John McNutt was the caretaker for the resort until 1909. It was from Deer Park that the trail into the famous Hell Hole was recut by Miss Katherine Chandler in 1908, after having been lost for many years. There has been some talk, recently, of converting Deer Park into a private park. Situated as it is in the heart of a canyon it is readily isolated and thus kept entirely secluded and free from intrusion. While such a procedure would be a great advantage to any individual or club who might purchase the estate, it would be a decided loss to the general public who for so many years have enjoyed the charms and delights of this earliest of Sierran mountain resorts.
Who: Katherine Chandler (died before 1942) and Alice Eastwood (January 19, 1859 - October 30, 1953)
Alice Eastwood was born to Colin Skinner Eastwood and Eliza Jane Gowdey Eastwood on January 19, 1859, in Toronto Canada. The family moved to Denver, Colorado in 1873 and Alice Eastwood went on to graduate as valedictorian from Shawa Convent Catholic High School in 1879. For the next ten years, Eastwood would teach at her alma mater, forgoing a college education. Using Grey’s Manual and the Flora of Colorado, Alice Eastwood would use this time to teach herself botany, going on various collecting trips during her vacations. In 1891, after reviewing Eastwood’s collection in Denver, Mary Katharine Brandegee, Curator of the Botany Department at the California Academy of Sciences, invited Eastwood to assist in the Academy’s Herbarium. This would be the beginning of Alice Eastwood’s long and fruitful career at the Academy of Sciences. The following year, Alice Eastwood would become joint Curator of the Botany Department at the Academy, alongside Mary Katharine Brandegee. Brandegee’s retirement in 1894 resulted in Alice Eastwood becoming the sole Curator and Head of the Botany Department at the Academy. Eastwood completed many trips at this time and collected and discovered a number of plants on the California coast. Against conventional practices of the time, Eastwood segregated type specimens from the main collection. This would prove to be an ingenious practice after the San Francisco 1906 earthquake and fire. After the earthquake, Eastwood went to the Academy and found the building deeply damaged. With the help of Robert Porter, Alice Eastwood was able to save 1,497 type specimens from the impending fire that was devouring the city and that was already burning the neighboring building. The fire would go on to destroy most of the Academy’s collections. Afterwards, Alice Eastwood traveled and studied throughout Europe and the United States. She eventually returned to the Academy as Curator of the Botany Department. She dedicated herself to rebuilding the collection and her expeditions were numerous, including collecting trips to Alaska, Arizona, Baja California, British Columbia, Utah, and all throughout California. By 1942, the collection numbered over 300,000 plant specimens, nearly three times the number destroyed in 1906 earthquake and fire. After 50 years of service to the Academy, Eastwood retired in 1950 at the age of ninety. Her inexhaustible career included the publication of over 300 articles, numerous books, and eight plant species of which were named after her. Along with John Thomas Howell, she founded the journal, Leaflets of Western Botany, served as editor for Zoe, helped to form the American Fuchsia Society, and worked to save a redwood grove in Humboldt County (which was named Alice Eastwood Memorial Grove). And so, at the age 94, on October 30, 1953, Alice Eastwood died in San Francisco, ending a prolific career at the California Academy of Sciences. The Garden of Shakespearean Flowers in Golden Gate Park was originated by Miss Alice Eastwood, botanist of Golden Gate Park, and carried out by the late Miss Katherine Chandler. Chandler credited Alice Eastwood in her “Habits of California Plants”, written in 1903 especially for children, as her teacher. Alice Eastwood died on October 30, 1953, in San Francisco. In spite of her advanced age, she was in good health and lived, independent and alone, in a small cottage until May, 1952, when she fell and broke her hip. Following this accident, she was apparently recovering and in excellent spirits, when in September, 1953, a reaction set in with complications that led to her death. She was buried in Toronto Necropolis (200 Winchester Street, Toronto, ON M4X 1B7, Canada), a XIX-century burial ground featuring Gothic architecture & the tombs of many prominent Torontonians.
Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/4976229.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.