Born: February 17, 1911, Chorzów, Poland
Died: December 11, 1984, Bloomington, Indiana, United States
Education: University of Basel
Buried: Walnut Grove Cemetery, Worthington, Franklin County, Ohio, USA, Plot: Lot 178, Section D, Space #2 east
Buried alongside: Dieter Cunz
Find A Grave Memorial# 36405847
Employer: Smith College
Books: Bete für mich, mein Lieber--, Essays in German and Comparative Literature, Der Theaterkritiker Otto Brahm
Awards: Guggenheim Fellowship for Humanities, US & Canada
Richard Plant was a German-American writer. He is said to have written, in addition to the works published under his own name, several detective novels or Kriminalromane, with Dieter Cunz and Oskar Seidlin, under the collective pen name of Stefan Brockhoff. Upon the accession of the Nazis to power in Germany in 1933, and the enforcement of the Paragraph 175 against homosexuality, Plant was obliged to leave Germany for Switzerland in concert with his partner, Oskar Seidlin. In 1939, Seidlin obtained a lectureship (in 1941 elevated to assistant professorship) at Smith College for women in Northampton, Massachusetts. At Smith, he is said to have had a relationship with Newton Arvin. Seidlin also served on the Advisory Council of Princeton University for several terms. Plant is the author of The Pink Triangle: The Nazi War against Homosexuals, the first comprehensive book in English on the fate of the homosexuals in Nazi Germany. The horror of camp life is described through diaries, previously untranslated documents, and interviews with and letters from survivors, revealing how the anti-homosexual campaign was conducted.
Together from (before) 1933 to 1984: 51 years.
Oskar Seidlin (February 17, 1911 – December 11, 1984)
Richard Plant (July 22, 1910 – March 3, 1998)
Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?
By the early 1900s, downtown Columbus residents and professors from The Ohio State University had built summer homes in Clintonville and the surrounding farmland was developed into housing developments shortly after the extension of the streetcar lines northward from Columbus. A business district developed in Beechwold, separated by nearly a mile of residences from the Clintonville district to the south. Both communities were entirely part of Columbus by the 1950s after it annexed most of Clinton Township.
Address: Walnut Grove Cemetery, 5561 Milton Ave, Columbus, OH 43085 (40.0759, -83.02371)
Type: Cemetery (open to public)
Phone: +1 614-885-5933
Clintonville is a neighborhood in north-central Columbus, Ohio, with around 30,000 residents. Clintonville is an informal neighborhood. The southern border is loosely defined as Arcadia Avenue or the Glen Echo Ravine. To the east, either Interstate 71 or the adjacent railroad tracks are commonly accepted. The western boundary is assumed to be the Olentangy River. The northern border of Clintonville is the most ambiguous, with definitions anywhere in the 3 mi (4.8 km) stretch from Cooke Road to the southern border of Worthington. Worthington is a city in Franklin County, Ohio, and is a northern suburb of the larger Columbus. The population was 13,575 at the 2010 census. The city was founded in 1803 by the Scioto Company led by James Kilbourne, who was later elected to the United States House of Representatives, and named in honor of Thomas Worthington, who later became governor of Ohio.
Who: Dieter Cunz (August 4, 1910 – February 17, 1969), Oskar Seidlin (February 17, 1911 – December 11, 1984) and Richard Plant (July 22, 1910 – March 3, 1998)
Dieter Cunz was an emigre from Nazi Germany first to Switzerland and then to the U.S. who taught German language and literature as a professor at the University of Maryland from 1939 to 1957 and at Ohio State University from 1957 until his death in 1969. He authored a number of fictional and non-fictional works. He studied at the University of Frankfurt. Here in the fall of 1931 he met two gay Jewish students of German literature, Richard Plaut and Oskar Koplowitz, and Koplowitz became his life partner. In 1938 Cunz, Koplowitz, and Plaut emigrated to the U.S., where within a year their paths diverged. While Plaut, who officially changed his name to Plant, remained in New York, Koplowitz, who changed his name to Seidlin, moved to Massachusetts in 1939 to take up a teaching position at Smith College. Cunz, who arrived in New York in August 1938, relocated to Maryland in October 1939. In 1957, Cunz accepted an offer to chair the German Department at Ohio State University following the departure of Bernhard Blume for Harvard University. Here he joined his partner Seidlin, who had been teaching at Ohio State since 1946, and the two built a house in the suburb Worthington. Cunz and Seidlin enjoyed summer vacations in the company of Richard Plant in Manomet, Massachusetts, and Mallnitz, Austria. Cunz was in declining health during his final years, suffering from high blood pressure and a heart valve defect. Even so, his death following a heart attack on February 17, 1969, at the age of 58, was unexpected and plunged Seidlin into a deep depression. In a signal honor, Ohio State University in 1973 named its new building for foreign languages and literatures after him (Dieter Cunz Hall, at 1841 Millikin Road, Columbus, Ohio). Oskar Seidlin taught German language and literature as a professor at Smith College, Middlebury College, Ohio State University, and Indiana University from 1939 to 1979. He authored a number of fictional and non-fictional works. In 1972, he found a new partner in the 35-year-old Hans Høgel, whom he visited regularly in Denmark and with whom he vacationed in the Great Smoky Mountains and the Caribbean. A heavy smoker, he suffered a heart attack in June, 1984 and was diagnosed with a malignant tumor at the beginning of October; he died nine weeks later. In accordance with his wishes, his mortal remains were interred alongside those of Dieter Cunz at the Walnut Grove Cemetery (5561 Milton Ave, Columbus, OH 4308). Richard Plant became a professor at the City University of New York, where he taught German language and literature from 1947 to 1973. He authored a number of fictional and non-fictional works as well as an opera scenario. He resided in Greenwich Village. Plant's companion during his final years was Michael Sasse. His papers are preserved in the Manuscripts and Archives Division of the New York Public Library.
Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/5029550.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.