Asexual - Paranormal Romance
Paperback: 314 pages
Publisher: Less Than Three Press (May 24, 2017)
Amazon: Alonso Munich is Now Dead S. Gates
1) The physical descriptions in this book, both of various locations and Atlanta as a whole, are detailed and well-written. I can easily imagine every room entered and route taken, and the author uses the contrast of clutter and sterility in locations to good effect. The descriptions occasionally veer toward the overly-factual, but not too often. Meanwhile, the supernatural elements of the setting were familiar, but often used in fresh ways or with details often overlooked. Alonso’s point of view works a lot with the contrast of a near-dead body and an actively living mind, or sensations such as a necromancer’s magic being worked nearby. Witchcraft techniques such as knot magic are shown without being pedantically explained, and while I’m rarely a fan of soulmate-esque concepts, the Keeper-Charge bond present here feels fresh due to its consensual and not-necessarily-romantic nature. Along with these, a few other details help round out this setting. One is the use of the differences between Alonso’s past and present, from the pop culture he recognizes to how the buildings have changed, which all helps add to his conflicted worldview. The openly dirverse and non-heteronormative nature of this setting is also a boon; there are characters who are transgender, asexual, gay but in a platonic hetero-soulmate relationship and more, and most of them PoC to boot. While characters face a believable amount of friction for their identities, they also find understanding and respect with their allies.
2) I really liked this story. I did wonder why Alonso, nor any others, ever addressed Marcella being transgender head on as a topic of discussion, but it worked out okay. It was worth the read.
2) The Painted Crown (Unbreakable Soldiers #2) Megan Derr
Asexual - Fantasy
Series: Unbreakable Soldiers (Book 2)
Paperback: 330 pages
Publisher: Less Than Three Press (December 5, 2016)
Amazon: The Painted Crown (Unbreakable Soldiers #2) Megan Derr
1) I really enjoyed this book that I will buy this and go and buy the first book in the series. There was just something about it that sucked me in.
3) Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists by Angel Martinez
This journal is friends only. This entry was originally posted at https://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwidth.org/5192894.html. If you are not friends on this journal, Please comment there using OpenID.